Sunday, November 29, 2009

Leg Warmers, Fried Fish and Stuffed Beavers






















Right before I left on my trip to Germany, I went to the store Forever 21 (because Forever 34 was closed) in search of some much needed items. Turns out my attempt was futile as the following exchange between me and the Eternally-At-Drinking-Age shop keeper transpired:

Me: Hey, do you guys have any leg warmers?

Infinitely 21
: Um, we did. Last year.

Me: You mean I'm a year too late? Does that mean I am out of style?

Endlessly 21: Um, I don't know. Maybe.

I gave her my best "whatever" (yeah, right, who am I kidding? My upbringing requires that I spit out "okay, thanks so much!" thru clenched teeth) and got outta there. Not to worry. I had a long flight ahead, yarn, knitting needles and a burning desire to return to the '80's.
And now here's just a few photos (and attempts at explanations of photos) from my trip:





















Moving, dancing, twirling clock tower in Munich. Last year, we couldn't figure out what everyone was looking at until we finally glanced up to see the figures come to a grinding holt. This year we managed to see the whole song-and-dance.





















































Apparently,
there are also Rednecks in Germany. Case in point, the stuffed beaver modeling a traditional German hat. Let's hope he never runs into this pistol-packing deer from the U.S. (Dear Germany, our Rednecks are redder than yours).





















Speaking of Red, doesn't this look like one of those tail-waggin', mouth-moving bass-on-a-plaque fish from a coupla years back? Well, in Germany they deep-fry those bad boys and eat 'em for dinner. Quite tasty, if I do say so.


























One of my favorite days of this trip was seeing Schloss Neuschwanstein. It was just breathtaking. I absolutely cannot wait to talk to the kiddos at school about this place.




























Just miles from Neuschwanstein was this very unassuming chuch. On the outside, it was very nondescript. Can you believe this interior? It makes you feel so small...which I guess is the point.





























AND, I managed to finish my leg warmers! I spent my 8 hour return flight home chatting with Mitch, watching movies, eating Now and Laters and knitting. Alison helped me pick out this yarn when she visited and I'm so glad I went with her suggestion. They match my scarf AND my brand new Germany boots so well, doncha think? I managed to get the boots super cheap (which is no small task in Germany) because they were on the clearance rack...because they are, wait for it, OUT OF STYLE. Huh, whatever. Ya'll may be Forever 21, but I'm Forever Out Dated (so, like, a FOD instead of a FAD). I think I'm okay with that.

1 comment:

  1. Leg warmers....hmmmmm, well if you need them you need them. Whatever else could you possibly need at Forever 21? LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. I appreciate each and every one :)