Monday, January 25, 2010

Big Hearts




Haiti Houses: Magnets, pins and necklaces made by the big-hearted art students of North Gwinnett High School under the tutelage of their amazing teacher Debi West.

I know you've seen the footage and photos of the devastation in Haiti. I can't think of any other way to describe it other than heartbreaking. And I don't know what's worse, seeing all of that loss or feeling as
though there is nothing I can do.
 
 Close-up of one house created by Jenna T.

Well, art teacher extrardinaire Debi West  found a way for she and her students to move beyond that feeling of powerlessness and do something. In her words: Art students at NGHS are creating unique and creative Haiti House pins, magnets and necklaces for a donation of $10. They have raised over $1000 over the last few days and hope to continue selling. All donation checks can be made to NGHS and we will be sending the money to several organizations such as Doctors Without Bordes and Habitat for Humanity to help rebuild houses, schools and hospitals!

I received my order of Haiti Houses on Saturday and I cannot begin to tell you how awesomely talented her students are. Not to mention big hearted. If you are interested in learning more, please leave a comment and I'll put you in touch with Debi.

Speaking of big hearts, check out this lovely...created by a fellow crafter and etsian whose jewelry can be found here...www.Flapyourwings.etsy.com

So over my Christmas holiday, I decided to reopen my etsy store. I gotta tell you, selling there is not a walk in the park. In fact, it can be more like a walk down a lonely, empty street. Unless, you make some friends...
  
I know, I'm in love too. Find more at www.ClutchThat.Etsy.com

  ...and start asking for some help. I have found that even though I often have no idea what's going on, how things work, why my items aren't flying off the proverbial shelf, I can always reach out and ask fellow etsians for tips, advice and help. I don't think I've ever come across a group of people that wishes your shop as much success as their own.



New heart-shaped belts in time for Valentine's Day. Comes wrapped in a neat little box with a ceramic ornament.

All of these big hearted people kinda inspired these new buckles and belts. Well, that and some Hallmark-y created holiday that's coming up!

Again, please let me know if you would like to learn more about Debi and her fabulous students.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/02/2010

    Hi there. I am an art teacher at a junior school in South Africa and am really interested in learning more about Debi and the Haiti houses. Would love to do something similar here in SA where houses and homelessness is a huge problem. Please can you put me in touch with her? Many thanks, Jenny. Cape Town, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/02/2010

    Sorry, my email in jennytraviss@telkomsa.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for drooling on your blog...but that clutch bag! :)

    And great work Debi and the kids with their cute little houses.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. I appreciate each and every one :)