Monday, February 1, 2010

It's the End of the World

 
 Our venture out on Sunday took us to parts of our neighborhood that the snow rendered unrecognizable. Isn't it funny how a blanket of white can drastically change the look of things?

Maybe it's because of all of these end-of-the-world movies I've seen of late (The Road -- thumbs up, take double dose of prozac before viewing and Book of Eli -- thumbs diagonal), but this winter blast made me feel isolated and alone. Not in bad way. Just in a spooky where-is-everybody? kind of way.

Thank goodness I had The Terminator with me to keep all of those sled-wielding, snow-crazed children at bay.
 
We ventured out to the movies on Friday, at the height of the ice/snow storm because we're geniuses. And I'm married to the Terminator, so nothing was going to stop our movie-going adventure. I wasn't so keen on the idea, but Mitch assured me all would be fine. I began to question his confidence when he suggested I throw a blanket in the car along with an extra set of socks, hat and gloves. At the time, my hands were too full of chocolate, twizzlers and a jar of peanut butter (standard movie going snacks), so I pretended not to hear.


We hiked up what felt like a mountain (but probably qualifies as a lump) in our neighborhood and captured this view of the Cool Springs area of Franklin. 

  Needless to say, the movies were deserted. As was all of Franklin. When we left the movies at 7pm, everything was closed...all of the shops and most of the restaurants (expect for the McDonalds, of course. It's good to know that even in desperate, apocalyptic times, I will still be able to satisfy my Mac Attack). And no one was on the road. We contemplated doing donuts on Cool Springs Blvd...but them Franklin cops are sneaky. Just like in the zombie movies, you never know where they might be lurking...but you always know they're there.
  
My new fave recipe to warm up on a cold winter's night: Gluvine.
It's a German thing...and it'll put the heat back into your veins.

But now that things are starting to thaw, I'm seeing life again. I can hear the neighbor shoveling his drive (which I find to be the stupidest activity ever. My hair dryer and extension cord worked just fine.) and kids sledding up and down the hills. Even the mailman dropped by to insure that I get this week's ValuPak coupons. Good to know I'll be able to save 20% on wall-to-wall carpeting during a cataclysm.


Dump some red wine, mulling spices and sugar (pictured is blue agave because it looked more fancy in the photo). Simmer for 20 minutes, stain out the mulling spices and viola! Gluvine! Drink it hot.

So I guess it'll be back to school and civilization for me tomorrow. I suppose it'll be nice to see other living, breathing, nose-picking beings for a while. Maybe.

Other than drinkin', hikin' and movie going, I managed to create some belt buckles (not shown, duh), a bird house and some wall pockets. Whenever I say "wall pockets" I have to sing-song it, like "hot pockets..."

I got nuthin else to say...so I guess I'll just end this with "I'll be back."
(I'm rolling my eyes and shaking my head too...what a dork.)
 

2 comments:

  1. LOL! Thanks for stopping by my Etsy and Blog... I follow you now, too.
    I laughed my butt off at your "recipe for a redneck Christmas.... I gotta make gingerbread trailers next year. "See" you around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwhhh I love this little wall pockets and bird house very cute! need to go check out your shop on Etsy after seeing them ^^^^ :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. I appreciate each and every one :)