Monday, April 19, 2010

Kraftin' Kudzo





 I know you aren't going to believe this, but this photo was taken in my yard! Don't worry, I'm sure my black thumb will find a way to kill it, but in the meantime, look! It's a flower! In my yard! Must be all that fertilizer the neighbor's dog plopped into our yard...

At my house, we like stuff with dual purposes. For example, Mitch has organized all of our candy (and yes, there is a high enough volume that it needs to be organized) in recycled spaghetti jars. Which leads to conversations like this: "Where are the Reese Cups?" 
"The dark chocolate ones or the milk?" 
"Um, milk, I guess..."
"Large ones or the travel size?"
"There are two sizes?"
"Uh, yeah (rolling of eyes at my apparent ignorance). Try Prego or Newmans."
 Oh, look, a dining room table slash buckle making factory. Another dual purpose! Sadly, I cleaned the table before taking this picture. According to hubs, "Cassie Clean" does not meet up to health code standards. A little dirt never hurt anyone, says me. I don't think...

While hubs has been thoughtfully organizing our pantry, I've been slowly transforming every part of our house into a functional room slash crafting work space. It ain't pretty. But it's working for me. The drawback? I live in fear of the doorbell. It started when an exceptionally well-dressed dude on a bike came to my door...   (cue reflection music):
Dude: Hi, ma'am, do you have a minute?
Me: (cringing at the word "ma'am") Um, I guess.
Dude, removing bike helmet: Well, I won't take but a moment -- (peering behind me) hey, did ya'll just move into your house?
Me: (attempting to block his view) What? Me? Yes! No. Well, maybe.
Dude: Oh, well, I just noticed all of the stuff you have ... everywhere.




The "sewing room" (which I think was originally a bedroom, hence the bed it once housed) occasionally doubles as the shipping room.  And the breakfast room is currently two-timing as a mini photo studio.

The other prob I've encountered with my craftin' sprawl is that it's like kudzu -- it has a tendency to take over. It just spreads and spreads, covering everything in it's path until all that's left is mass craftin chaos. The only place that I haven't allowed my craftin' to creep is the bathroom and Mitch's side of the bed. But give it time. My Kraftin' Kudzo is resilient.  

 My flower garden, on the other hand, I'm sure will prove to be not as resilient. Before the week's end, chances are it'll be dead and weed-ridden...in which case I can find another purpose for it. Preferably NOT a doggie crapper!

1 comment:

  1. I want that iris. My mom always had a ring of them around our property of every hue but I hadn't seen that splashy effect. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. I appreciate each and every one :)