Hi, friends!
If you are like me, you like to kick off the school year with a couple of things: a getting-to-know-you style project and...a return to the elements of art with an intro to LINE. Which got me thinking...what if there was a lesson that could combine BOTH?!
And...so here I present to you...the All-About-Me LINE Portrait! (complete with two totally free downloads!)
So now...I wanted to share with you some ways for you to adapt this lesson to other grade levels. Let's start with the younger students like first grade. For them, I would consider using this lesson with just the emphasis being on learning and drawing lines. So after creating the border and the grid, have students draw a line inside of each box.
In the video, you might have seen me reference one of my Larry the Line downloads. You can find those here. For my book, Larry the Line, visit here!
For students in second and third grade, you may want to consider using this (totally free) download!
With this, students can draw lines that tell a little about them. When displaying their work, consider creating a large version of this sheet to hang with the artwork! It's perfect for Open House as the students can share it with their families and really spend time talking about their artwork.
This lesson was inspired by another lesson of mine...one called Getting to Know You paper sculptures. This is a perfect tie-in! If you have other grade levels that you are looking for a lesson for, you might wanna check it out!
Teaching paper sculptures the first weeks of school is MY FAVORITE THING EVER...so I'm a big fan of this lesson, with or without the idea sheet!
I also did a version of this for when my students create sketchbook covers! For this, we used tempera sticks. You can check out those details here.
PERSONALLY...I think THIS would make an amazing sketchbook cover! I plan to share more details on that idea soon but...imagine this folded in half and filled with paper and amazing artwork. So fun!
Now, for older students, you might want to allow them to fill out their own sheet! So I created a blank version and you can download it here.
* Ink filled bingo dauber
If you are looking for some pointers when using tempera paint, check out this blog post with my top tips and tricks!
As an alternative to tempera paint, I also demonstrate how to use watercolor paint! This works well as does tempera cakes. So...if busting out the tempera paint isn't something you are in the mood to do the first couple weeks of school, you could always try watercolor for less of a mess!
Enjoy and STAY TUNED! I have a ton of LINE lessons (and more!) coming your way! The best way to stay up to date is to join my email list! You can do it here.
Enjoy and STAY TUNED! I have a ton of LINE lessons (and more!) coming your way! The best way to stay up to date is to join my email list! You can do it here.







No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for your comments. I appreciate each and every one :)
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.